The State of Online Gambling in Colorado, USA, 2023
If you are interested in online gambling in Colorado, USA, and you want to check out its legality, you’ve come to the right place. Not only will we give you the lowdown on the legal aspects. We will also tell you about the best online gambling sites Colorado has to offer and the games and activities in which you can participate.
The USA online gambling is constantly changing. While internet betting is subject to various restrictions in some states, in others, there are no restrictions. Currently, legal online casinos USA are available in 6 states only, and these are Delaware, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.
To find the answer to the question of is online gambling legal in Colorado, please read on.
Best Colorado Online Gambling Sites
888 Casino NJ
$20 No Deposit Bonus
250m GC + Free 25k SC Every Week
Caesars Casino MI
100% Match up to $2,000
The Legal Online Gambling Colorado Overview
At present, the only online gambling legal in Colorado is sports betting and playing the CO state’s lottery. To comply with Colorado online gambling age law, you must be 21 years old or more.
As well as the Colorado online gambling legalization of sports and lottery activities, the state has also legalized land-based retail casinos, the majority of which are to be found in the towns of Black Hawk, Cripple Creek, and Central City. The minimum legal age for online gambling real money Colorado conventional casino betting is also 21.
But the good news regarding is online sports gambling legal in Colorado is yes, it is, provided the site is state registered.
Who Regulates Sports Online Gambling Colorado?
The Colorado online gambling laws, and the rules and regulations laid down for the state lottery, are created and updated by the SBG (Specialised Business Group) of the Colorado Department of Revenue.
Legal Online Gambling Colorado Activities
We’ve touched briefly on the online sports gambling Colorado activities, but let’s explain them in a little more detail.
Legal Colorado Online Gambling Sites Offering Sportsbooks
The Centennial state legalised online sports betting in November 2019, and in 2020, several online sportsbooks became licensed. You can bet on a wide range of sports on them, including
- NFL American Football
- MBA Basketball
- MBL Baseball
- NHL Hockey
- MLS Soccer
Many sports bettors have recently discovered table tennis betting. You can check the list of the best online gambling Colorado Sportsbooks on the Colorado.gov website.
Fantasy Sports Colorado Online Gambling Sites
As well as real physical sports, CO gamblers enjoy betting on Fantasy Sports – particularly DFS (Daily Fantasy Sports). These, too, were legalized in 2019, with DraftKings and FanDuel being two of the most popular DFS sites.
State Lottery Gambling Online Colorado
Tickets for the state lottery can be purchased over the counter at many outlets, including shops. Games include Cash 5, Colorado Lottery+, Lucky for Life, Mega Millions, and Powerball.
As well as being sold over the counter, the state lottery also has an app and a website making it available to access via the internet..
Online Gambling Colorado Legal Horse Betting
Horse race betting on the Web is 100% legal in CO. Arapahoe Park offers both live horse racing and simulcast wagering.
But if you can’t make it to Arapahoe Park, there are several other OTB (Off Track Betting) sites where you can place bets over the internet. They include BetAmerica, which offers over 5,000 races per week, and TVG.
No Legal Poker Online Betting in Colorado
There are no web-based Poker sites in CO. If you are a Poker lover, you have three options:
- Play at conventional land-based casinos and poker rooms in CO
- Play Sweepstake Poker online in CO on the Global Poker website
- Play on offshore casinos – not legally, but not prohibited
Colorado online gambling legal Social Sites
As well as web-based sweepstake sites, the Centennial state also allows web-based social online casino gambling Colorado sites that are properly and legally registered. Online gambling sites like these are perfect for those that like betting, but not with real money.
Instead, you can buy chips or coins and play with them instead of hard cash. You cannot, however, exchange these tokens for real money, but you can claim prizes. Two of the most popular social sites are Chumba Casino and LuckyLand Slots.
- Chumba Casino is pretty much like all web-based casinos and offers slots as well as classic casino table games such as Blackjack, Poker, and Roulette. They also offer Keno.
- Luckylands Slots, as the name suggests, is an internet platform specializing in slots. They offer cash prizes via their patented sweepstake system.
The Best Colorado Online Gambling Sites for Offshore Betting
At the time of writing, there are no legal internet casinos operating within the boundaries of CO. However, there are plenty of offshore web-based casino sites on which residents of CO can gamble.
Is it legal to wager on offshore sites from CO? Well, let’s say that strictly speaking, it is not illegal. When the state passed its gambling legislation which allowed sports betting over the internet, there was no mention of offshore casino websites, therefore, by omission, they are not illegal.
It is virtually unheard of for US bettors to be prosecuted for offshore casino gambling in CO However, if you do bet offshore and you encounter any problems, you will have no legal recourse. But, if you choose an offshore platform carefully, ensuring that it is licensed by the Gambling Commission of MGA, you can’t go far wrong. Millions of gamblers worldwide use these sites.
Responsible Gambling Online in Colorado
The agency charged with ensuring that Colorado online gambling legislation is followed by online gambling sites Colorado is the Colorado Gaming Association (CGA). Whether we are talking web-based sports and sportsbook sites, the land-based casino network, or the state lottery, it’s these guys who have the task of promoting responsible gambling.
They describe the problem of irresponsible gambling behavior as something that impacts negatively on the lives of the bettors, adversely affecting their personal lives and causing significant financial difficulties, which can have legal consequences.
The CGA attempts to assist potential problem bettors by making them and the sites they visit aware that Colorado real online gambling should be carried out responsibly by all parties. They also offer to train casino employees and have created a self-exclusion program in partnership with the PGCC (Problem Gambling Coalition of Colorado).
For players in CO who develop gambling problems, there are several state and international sites you can turn to for help. They include:
- Colorado Gamblers Anonymous
- The Problem Gambling Coalition of Colorado
- The International Centre for Responsible Gambling
- The National Council on Problem Gambling
Never be scared to seek or recommend help if you or a friend develops and gambling problem.
- ❓ Must I reside in CO to bet at casino websites when they are legalized?
- Only if you are betting on an web-based casino licensed by the state. You can reside anywhere in the USA if you decide to play on offshore sites.
- ❓ How old do I have to be to gamble legally in CO?
- The online gambling legal Colorado age is 21.
- ❓ What type of casinos can apply for a gaming license in CO?
- The casinos that can apply for a gaming license in CO are land-based casinos, social and sweepstakes sites, plus establishments offering sportsbooks and DFS.
- ❓ What choices are there for betting over the internet in CO?
- Online gambling laws in Colorado allow betting on social and sweepstake casinos and platforms offering sportsbooks and DFS.
- ❓ Is it okay for residents of CO to bet on offshore casinos?
- It is not illegal. However, if you encounter any problems, you won’t have any legal backup.
- ❓ Which venues offer legal gambling in CO?
- You can bet legally at any state-registered, land-based casino.
- ❓ How do I go about signing up at a casino website in CO?
- The only legal casino websites you can register with within CO are sportsbook and DFS sites or social and sweepstake casinos. The registration process is similar to that of any other casino website.
- ❓ What do I need to look for when checking out an offshore casino from CO?
- That the platform is licensed by a globally recognized and respected licensing agency such as the UK Gambling Commission, the Kahnawake Gambling Commission, or the MGA.
- ❓ Who is responsible for regulating gambling over the internet in CO?
- The people who oversee and regulate Colorado laws about online gambling are the Colorado Gaming Association (CGA).
- ❓ How can I be certain that web-based casinos in CO are legal and safe?
- By checking to ensure the casino you are visiting is licensed by the CDOR. If you cannot see the CDOR logo on the site, you can use this online search form to check it out.
- ❓ Will I have to pay tax on my gambling winnings?
- According to the IRS, you have to declare any gambling winnings. You can, however, deduct your betting costs, providing you can itemize them. The Kiplinger.com website has some useful tips on how to handle and minimize your betting winnings tax liability.