Online Sports Betting in New York, USA
New York sports betting became a reality in July 2019 when the then Mayor, Gary McCarthy, placed the first bet at the Rivers Casino in Schenectady. Since then, many new land-based casinos have opened their doors to the gambling public. Nowadays famous online sportsbooks operate in NY. DraftKings, FanDuel sportsbook, Caesars, BetMGM, WynnBet, etc give gamblers all the services they expect from modern online sport betting sites in NY.
Best NY Online Sports Betting Sites
What Sports Betting in New York Looks Like Today
The NY sports betting scene today allows bettors to wager on 11 different game types. These are:
- Automobile Racing
- Boxing – Olympic and professional
- UFC and MMA Fight Sports
- American Football
- Rugby Football
Although US citizens in New York can gamble on all of the games mentioned above, it is limited to specific leagues and tournaments.
The main problem lies in the fact that most casinos offering sports betting NY are located upstate, so they’re not very convenient for most New Yorkers. However, the rumblings about the arrival of online sports betting NY mobile apps are getting louder by the day. More about this later.
Is NY Online Sports Betting Legal?
The answer to the question of is sports betting legal in NY is yes, it is. It has been since July 2019. There is one significant qualifier, though, and that is that it is only legal in the state’s conventional land-based casinos.
New York online sports betting on any device, including handhelds, is still outlawed throughout the state. However, citizens of the United States of America who reside in New York City have an option. They can take advantage of legal gambling in New Jersey, and this includes online accessibility.
New York State Online Sports Betting Apps
NY mobile sports betting is expected to become a reality very shortly. The state is one of many experiencing serious changes concerning regulated sports gambling. In the meantime, there is nothing to stop New Yorkers from downloading apps for sports betting in NY providing they bet in nearby New Jersey. It is a practice that many US citizens are happy to follow. The Top apps are:
|NY Online Sports Betting App||Bonus||Bpnus Code|
|DraftKings||Up to $1,000 + $50 Free Bet||–|
|BetMGM||$1,000 Risk Free Bet||PLAYBONUS|
|Caesars||Up To $5,000 Risk Free Bet||LEGALRF|
|FanDuel||Up to $1,000 Risk Free Be||–|
|Unibet||$600 Risk Free Bet||BETBONUS|
- Draft Kings Sportsbook – It is recognized as one of the best gaming experiences available for devices with Android and iOS operating systems. This sportsbook, which is one of the top outside sports betting online NY options, started life in the daily fantasy sports scene before evolving to become one of the web-based sports gambling industry’s major players.
- William Hill Sportsbook – Started back in 1934 in the UK by William Hill himself, they crossed the Pond in 2012 and are now regarded as probably the United States of America’s No1 sportsbook.
- BETMGM Sportsbook – The sportsbook platform for MGM Resorts International, including the Las Vegas Strip. Their app allows US citizens from many states, including New Jersey and Pennsylvania, to enjoy New York mobile sports betting outside NY at its most exciting. Word has it they will soon be one of the biggest names in sports betting on the internet.
Signing Up for a New York State Sports Betting App Account
To keep in line with legal online sports betting New York State rules and regulations, you have to place your wagers in nearby states such as New Jersey and Pennsylvania. However, there is nothing wrong with downloading a gambling app in the Empire State.
Downloading an app couldn’t be easier. Each advert or promo contains a link. After clicking on the link, you’ll be taken to a website where you can choose your format (Android or iOS) and download the app to your device. The download will look after itself. It only takes a few seconds.
If your device uses the Android operating system, you will need to set your device to accept downloads from an unknown source. There’s no danger; it’s just because the Google Play Store has a ban on gambling apps, but if you’re downloading your NY sports betting app in New York to place bets across the state line, everything is perfectly legal.
All you then need to do is to complete the registration process on the sportsbook of your choice.
Pros and cons of Apps for Sports Betting New York
Nothing in life is ever 100% perfect, and this covers sports betting apps too. Here is a quick rundown of the positives and negatives.
- Personal convenience is the most obvious advantage regarding using an app for sports betting. Even if you are lucky enough to have a casino on your doorstep, you still have to dress up and leave your apartment or house. What could be easier than placing bets from the comfort of your own couch? There’s absolutely no traveling involved, and you can dress as you please.
- Picking up bonuses and promotions when you sign up and play via an app is a considerable advantage. Promotions and bonuses at retail sportsbooks or land-based casinos are pretty well non-existent because they’re dealing with a captive audience. On the other hand, NY mobile sports betting enthusiasts are usually people searching the web who need an incentive to choose a particular platform.
- Player power is another important consideration. At conventional casinos and sportsbooks, your options are limited. When you’re playing via an app, you get an enormous choice of game types and wagers, and on the best online platforms, you can even change your bet while an event is still in progress.
- Solitude is the norm with online sports betting in New York. Even when there are others around you tend not to socialize. Your attention is glued to the screen. Okay, you can interact with the dealer and your peers in many live online casinos. But it’s nothing like the sociability of being among the crowd of fellow bettors in the atmosphere of a land-based casino. We all like to celebrate when we win, and celebrating on your own isn’t much fun.
- Technical issues with apps and poor Internet connections can be problematic if you’re not tech-savvy. If you have problems when you’re with a bunch of like-minded gamblers in a sports betting NY casino environment, it’s much easier to sort out any issues or concerns.
- Managing your bankroll tends to be much easier in a land-based establishment. Gamblers often go out with a set amount of cash. When you’re betting online via an app, it’s all too easy to make an instant deposit using a credit card, and before you know it, you’ve overspent.
Bonus Offers Available with New York Sports Betting
There are some pretty lucrative bonuses and promotions to be claimed when betting on sports. They include:
- Risk-Free Bets where the House will refund any initial losing bet up to a certain $ amount.
- Free cash bonuses when you make your first deposit.
- Free weekly bets up to a specific $ value.
- Bets that only have an x1 wagering requirement.
- Weekly booster parlays
Those mentioned above are a sample of what’s on offer to tempt you into online sports betting.
How Online Sports Betting New York Works
US citizens love to gamble on the outcome of games or events in particular. New Yorkers are no different. But because the state is so slow in getting its act together (although from what we now hear, it might be sooner rather than later), the fine folk of NY have to do a little ducking and diving. It means crossing state lines to place their bets in neighboring New Jersey or Pennsylvania.
Such is the want for NY online sports betting that people are quite happy to do this.
Making Sports Betting Online New York Deposits and Withdrawals
Having completed the registration process, the next thing you’re likely to want to do is to put some funds into your player account. If you didn’t already have to state which sports betting payment method you wanted to use while you were registering, now is the time to do so. Visit the website cashier page and make your choice from:
- A range of cards – credit, debit, prepaid
- Bank transfer
- Online transfers
You can deposit money for NY state sports betting by any of the above-mentioned methods. However, when it comes to withdrawals, the options are more limited. It’s best to choose the same process for both deposits and withdrawals to minimize any delay. If you use a different method for withdrawals, you might incur a delay or run into problems.
New York Sports Betting League Partners
Online sports betting in New York doesn’t limit you to events taking place in New York. That’s because the best sportsbooks partner with all the major American leagues, including the MLB, the MBA, the NFL, and the NHL. Each platform works with a slightly different set of partners, so you will need to check the game type and the associations with which your chosen platform works.
Land-based Sports Betting Sites NY
For New Yorkers who don’t want to travel out of state for their gambling activities, here is a list of the NY bricks and mortar land-based establishments:
- DraftKings Sportsbook – del Lago Resort Casino, 1133 Highway 414, Waterloo
- FanDuel Sportsbook – Tioga Downs Casino Resort, 2384 W. River Road, Nichols
- Caesars Sports Lounge – Turning Stone Casino Resort, 5218 Patrick Road, Verona
- Caesars Sports Lounge – Point Place Casino, 450 Highway 31, Bridgeport
- Caesars Sports Lounge – Yellow Brick Road Casino, 800 W. Genesee St., Chittenango
- Rivers Sportsbook – Rivers Schenectady, 1 Rush St., Schenectady
- Sportsbook 360 – Resorts World Catskills, 888 Resorts World Drive, Monticello
- Sticks Sportsbook & Grill – Akwesasne Mohawk Casino, 873 Highway 37, Hogansburg
FAQ About Online Sports Betting in NY
- 👮 Is sports betting legal in New York?
- Yes, sports betting is perfectly legal in New York at land-based establishments. Online sports betting has yet to be legalized, but it is expected to happen soon.
- ❓ What kinds of sporting bets can I place?
- In New Jersey and Pennsylvania (and hopefully soon in New York), you can place a wide variety of bets, including Futures, over/under, Moneyline, and Parlays.
- 🤔 Can I place bets on New York colleges?
- No, the law prohibits placing bets on New York College and University sports at this point in time.